A gargle is an herbal infusion, decoction or diluted tincture that is used to treat sore throat. It works by stimulating circulation in the throat area, while soothing and healing inflamed tissue. Herbal gargles are usually prepared using herbs that have an astringent (drying) effect, acting to tighten the mucous membranes of the throat and mouth Gargles also kill and get rid of germ from the mouth and throat.
This video shows you how to prepare an herbal gargle as a natural remedy for sore throat.
- Absorption and tissue distribution of curcumin in rats
- Ann McIntyre (1995), The Complete Women’s Herbal
- David Hoffman (2013), Holistic Herbal: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
- German Commission E, Journal of the American Medical Association, 1993
- Rosemary Gladstar (2014), Herbs for Common Ailments: How to Make and Use Herbal Remedies for Home Health Care