An herb or compound that works to prevent, reverse or suppress the progression to of cancer in the body.
- Astragalus (Astragalus propinquus)
- Reishi Mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum)
- Saffron (Crocus sativus)
- Shiitake Mushrooms (Lentinula edodes)
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
In this video, Roy Upton, executive director of the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, discusses the importance of integrating herbal medicine as a part of any cancer treatment. Some chemopreventive herbs he includes in his discussion are: Astragalus, Reishi and Shiitake mushrooms.
- An Evidence-based Review of Astragalus Membranaceus (Astragalus) for Cancer Patients
- Anticancer and carcinogenic properties of curcumin: Considerations for its clinical development as a cancer chemopreventive and chemotherapeutic agent
- Cancer chemopreventive and tumoricidal properties of saffron (Crocus sativus L.)
- David Hoffmann L. BSc (Hons), MNIMH
- Paula Jo Broadfoot, 2009. Integrating Complementary Medicine into Veterinary Practice.