A detoxicant herb supports the body’s organ systems in the elimination of waste materials and toxins. These include the intestinal tract, kidneys, liver, lungs, skin and the lymphatic system.
Detoxification is a process of inner cleansing. It is safer and most effective when conducted over a period of 4 to 6 weeks.
A detoxicant is different from an antitoxin in that it helps the liver eliminate any toxin, while an anti-toxin targets specific toxins.
- Astragalus (Astragalus propinquus)
- Burdock (Arctium lappa)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
- Dong quai (Angelica sinensis)
- Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
- Oregon Grape (Berberis aquifolium)
- Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum)
- Schizandra (Schizandra chinensis)
- Yellow Dock (Rumex crispus)
This video discusses cleansing herbs that are great for detoxification, as well as how to use them in herbal remedies.
- An Evidence-based Review of Astragalus Membranaceus (Astragalus) for Cancer Patients
- Anticancer and carcinogenic properties of curcumin: Considerations for its clinical development as a cancer chemopreventive and chemotherapeutic agent
- Cancer chemopreventive and tumoricidal properties of saffron (Crocus sativus L.)
- David Hoffmann L. BSc (Hons), MNIMH
- Paula Jo Broadfoot, 2009. Integrating Complementary Medicine into Veterinary Practice.